Tuesday 15 May 2012

Sweet Charity



Everyone seems to have a charity that is close to their heart. Mine has always been Thames Hospice Care, who I have raised money for and who helped my grandma when she was sick. Mr. G always gives money to the British Heart Foundation, as he thinks, statistically, a problem with his heart is the most likely ailment to affect him, and sees it as an investment (I'm only half joking!). Recently, a few organisations that I use regularly have been fundraising, and as they have both really made a difference to my life, I thought I'd share some details, in case anyone is feeling generous.


I've mentioned Mumbies, a playgroup in Parsons Green several times before, as it is such a good one. It caters for hundreds of children and parents, and provides a cozy and friendly atmosphere, which is so important to new mums, who can feel very alone and overwhelmed (I know that I certainly did). It's run by a group of volunteers in St. Dionis Church, and is free of charge to everyone. However, they are fundraising at the moment to try and get some craft supplies and little tables and chairs. One way they raise funds is by utilising the wonderful Cupcake Spa, a local spa for mums (and non mums!), who, for a £5 donation to Mumbies, give a mini massage, which is absolutely worth every penny after a hectic morning! If you are interested in attending, helping out or donating, contact details are below! I love Mumbies, as do lots of other people I know, so if you are looking for a playgroup, give it a try!


When I was pregnant, everyone I knew who had children already (a grand total of two people, one of whom was my mother) recommended the NCT. They provide classes to prepare you for your new arrival, but also help you meet other local mums, expecting around the same time as you. Almost all of the mums that I have as friends have stemmed from the NCT, either through my own classmates, or through friends of theirs, which as a young mum with no existing friends with babies, was so important. The NCT is a charity, and relies on fundraising. As such, the Kensington and Chelsea branch are organising a 'Pampered like a Queen' party to celebrate the Jubilee. Mums can indulge in a hand and arm massage or a nail treatment (again, provided by the fabulous Cupcake Spa), while listening to a violin recital from Antonia Azoitei. Children will be entertained by the Art Barn, creating Jubilee inspired crowns, and everyone will receive a pampering goody bag and maybe some wonderful prizes in the raffle! Tickets cost £10 for one adult and one child.








Mumbies, St Dionis Church, Parsons Green, Tuesday mornings from 10am. For further details, email lisacleaf@googlemail.com or dee@stdionis.org.uk

Pampered Like a Queen, Wednesday 30th May from 10-12 at Beaufort House, 354 Kings Road, SW3 5UZ. Tickets cost £10, and are available by clicking this link. For further details, email toddlersnctkensington@yahoo.co.uk or call 0844 243 007.

Cupcake Spa, part of Cupcake club, 11 Heathmans Road, SW6 4TJ. Spa is open to member and non members. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alex, Thank you so much for the mention of the NCT K&C pamper event!
    Cheers, Rochelle

    ReplyDelete

Please leave lots of comments or feedback! x

Read all about it....