Monday 16 April 2012

Lime Me Up

The absolute worst thing about being pregnant for me is going out to a pub or bar and being offered a choice between coke or lemonade from one of those gun things. That is a bit of a convoluted way of saying I hate not drinking (don't judge, I've spent nearly half of my twenties not being able to drink). But, there is nothing better than being offered a delicious selection of unusual soft drinks, and definitely makes watching your friends/husband/parents getting drunker and drunker and increasingly irritating (trust me, no one is clever or very funny when they are drunk). My two favourites at present are Fentiman's Rose Lemonade (FYI, this does have a tiny bit of alcohol in it, as it is fermented) and Pain Quotidien's Limeade with mint.



So, this weekend I decided to try making my own versions. My recipes are below. The rose lemonade is really unusual and delicious. I use quite a lot of rose water as I like the fragrant rose flavour, it reminds me of Istanbul (my most favourite place in the world, just in case you were wondering!), but if floral drinks are not your thing, leave it out or just use a smidge. The limeade is also really good, but it takes ages to squeeze limes. I got a big box from North End Road market, which were really, so a bit easier than those very hard little ones, but I've been told that a few seconds in a microwave, softens them and makes them easier to juice. The limeade is also amazing with Asian food, as it really brings out the flavours.



Rose Lemonade
1 cup granulated sugar (although I am sure caster would do just fine)
5.5 cups water
1.5 cups lemon juice (about 6-7 lemons)
2-4 tsp rose water (available at big supermarkets, health food stores or online)

Put the sugar and water in a saucepan and heat until the sugar is fully dissolved.
Remove from heat, allow to cool and pour into a big jug.
Stir in the lemon juice and rose water (add a little at a time if you are unsure). Have a sip, and adjust to taste. I also add a few slices of the squeezed lemons to the jug, to look nice!

Limeade with mint
1 cup granulated sugar
5.5 cups water
1.5 cups lime juice (10-12 limes)
1 bunch mint

Dissolve the sugar in the water, as above.
Leave to cool, then pour into jug.
Stir in mint leaves (you can bash them a little to release flavour) and lime juice, (again, I slice the squezzed limes and add them to the jug).




1 comment:

  1. yummy! I love all of fentimans drinks! Since being pregnant again I forgot how frustrating not drinking is. I have tonic water and pretend to myself theres gin in it!! xxxx

    http://honeysmummy.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Please leave lots of comments or feedback! x

Read all about it....