Wednesday 28 March 2012

Hungry for more

Sorry for my slightly sporadic blogging this week, I've been a little caught up. Partly enjoying the glorious weather, it is so warm and sunny, not the weather for sitting at a desk writing. But, to be honest, the real reason for my lack of updates is all to do with an amazing new book (actually a trilogy) that I have discovered, and, subsequently, cannot put down!

I love reading, I always have since I was tiny. Back then it was Enid Blyton (still is if I feel like hanging out with the Famous Five for a day). However, when I turned 11, I started at a very academic, girls school , where St Enid was not appreciated or praised. I tried to develop a love for Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte, but the love eluded me and I ended up switching my A Level English Lit for Textiles (books or fashion....it was a no brainer for me!). I spent most of my late teens and early twenties immersed in text books for university or reading 'modern literature' i.e. stuff like the Life of Pi and The Line of Beauty. I then slipped into a dark place, known as the Twilight world. I discovered Edward Cullen and spent way too long reading and rereading the Twilight books, and other books of that ilk (I can't criticise, as I don't want hate mail.....!)

I was pretty happy in my little world of low brow literature, until, one day a strange thing happened. I was hanging out at my mum's house, with my wonderful friend Rachel (who was there every step of the way in the Twilight black hole), when my mum started harping on about her degree (she is doing a literature degree at the moment). Rachel, my buddy in all things vampire, suddenly started debating the merits or Madam Bovary over Anna Karenina, and whether Middlemarch was a better read than Far from the Madding Crowd, I suddenly felt a bit stupid. Well, actually, a lot stupid.

So, I decided to better myself through books, and got stuck into Madam Bovary (wow, that IS an ending), Cannery Row and started War and Peace (long, oh so long), before I broke and craved something a bit lighter. And so I found the best trilogy of books ever (once again intended for teenagers). Hello Hunger Games, goodbye social life. They are just the best books for when you need something easy to read, but with a pretty good storyline and a cool protagonist (after months of Bella Swan and Emma Bovary, I needed a tough, independent woman!), who is pretty mean with a bow and arrow. Froth, but slightly harrowing froth (although maybe that's the mum in me), and a new film to boot (as I write this I am waiting for my babysitter to arrive so I can drag my husband to the cinema with me). Don't expect Hardy or Eliot, but enjoy a story that was inspired by Theseus and the Minotaur, with a bit of Orwellian inspiration, packaged up into a book intended for hormonal teenagers (or pregnant ladies). I am halfway through the second book, and am loving it. Much more than War and Peace, that's for sure, but Saint Enid still reigns supreme!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave lots of comments or feedback! x

Read all about it....